Litter Listing & Breeder Directory Requirements
ESC Breeder Requirements
As of 11/1/2016
Requirements to be listed as a breeder in ESC publications or on the website:
- I will do a hip x-ray and submit to a nationally or internationally recognized diagnostic service for evaluation of all my breeding dogs. If a dog has suffered an injury that makes an evaluation impossible, documentation and a vet report will be accepted. I understand that both parents must have hip evaluations before a litter is listed on the ESC website.
- I will test for MDR1 unless my breeding dogs are normal/normal by pedigree. (Normal/normal by pedigree means both parents of the dog have been tested and the results have been recorded within the ESCR database.
- I will provide documentation of the results of all screening tests of my breeding dogs to the ESC Registry and understand the results will be added to the ESCR database under each dog’s name.
- I am aware that for the ESC website litter listings ONLY, the following criteria apply: the minimum age for parents of litters posted on the ESC website is 18 months at the time of whelping. Only ONE back-to-back litter per dam is allowed to be posted on the website. (Less than 10 months between litters defines a BTB litter). A breeder is allowed a limit of three listings per calendar year. All litter listings will include the dates of the previous litters from the dam.
- I will comply with state laws regarding the age at which puppies are allowed to leave their dam.
- I will maintain written records of all my breeding dogs including health records, breeding dates and litters, during their lifetime. I will keep a record of names and contact information of all puppy buyers (recorded at the time of purchase). I will provide the results of all diagnoses of any hereditary problems
to the puppy buyers whose dogs might be affected.
- I will register my breeding dogs and all litters with the ESCR.
- I will not knowingly sell or donate dogs to commercial dog wholesalers, dealers, brokers, retailers, pet shops, or any other person or organization for resale or to be given away to any public fundraising event. Nor will I sell on any public property (store parking lots, intersections, dog parks, etc.).
- I will not speak falsehoods or misrepresent the ESC or other breeders.
- I will comply with all federal, state or provincial, and local government laws and regulations concerning the keeping of dogs.
- I understand that I must be a member for one full year before being eligible to be listed as a breeder with the ESC.
- If breeding more than one breed, I will disclose the breeds I have and will not intentionally create a “designer” breed using English Shepherds. (A designer breed is defined as any dog created solely for the purpose of aesthetics and appearances. )
- Provide a safe/healthy environment with fresh water, daily exercise, daily human interaction, and nutrition appropriate to the age of the puppy or adult dog.
- Follow the vaccination and worming protocol of my veterinarian or current AVMA recommendations and provide the buyer with documentation of products used.
- Understand that the ESC recommends puppies leaving their dam at a minimum of eight weeks.
- Not sell more than one puppy from a single litter to a person or household.
- Honestly represent my breeding dogs and puppies and will not mislead any person by omitting any information regarding health of the animals or their relatives, their behavior history or ancestry.
- Provide socialization opportunities for each of my dogs and puppies, including such things as: daily human handling, exposure to different environments,
exposure to different people and children, exposure to experiences beyond the area where they live within the first eight weeks of life.
- Breed dogs with the potential to contribute positively to the breed. Conscientiously plan each litter, selecting a stud dog and dam to be mated based on pedigrees, working ability, temperament, and structure.
- Not breed any male or female until they are physically and mentally mature, nor breed any dam repeatedly in such a manner as to endanger her health or that of her puppies.
- Discontinue breeding the dam beyond an appropriate age.
- Show discrimination in the sale of the puppies and be concerned with the type of homes in which they are placed. Have a written or oral contract stating
responsibilities and rights of breeder and buyer.
- Accept return of a puppy or dog (bred by me) at any time during the dog’s lifetime or work with a reputable rescue to rehome said puppy or dog. Make every effort to redeem any dog (bred by me) should he or she ever be in the custody of a dog pound or animal shelter.
- Educate potential owners about the challenges of the breed in order to foster an understanding of the breed’s innate character and prevent training problems. At a minimum, I will provide buyers with the ESC Puppy Handbook.
- Be a resource for buyers of puppies or older dogs (sold by me) for the life of the dog, helping puppy owners with advice, training, behavior modification
information, and referrals to trainers in their area.
- Encourage every puppy buyer to permanently identify his or her dog with a registered microchip or tattoo that includes my contact information as a primary or secondary contact.
- Submit a Working Trait Evaluation for each parent of a litter.